Central Texas’ newest memorial honoring Pflugerville’s fallen warriors will be unveiled and dedicated on Veterans Day in Pfluger Park on Friday, November 11 beginning at 3:00 p.m. Many of the warriors’ families and friends will be in attendance to remember their loved ones and the loved ones of others.
Nine known Pflugerville soldiers have fallen since World War I:
- Army Corporal Willie Wieland – World War I – died October 7, 1918
- Army Corporal Alfred Kerlin – World War I – died November 1, 1918
- Army Air Corps Lieutenant Kermit Fuch - World War II – April 11, 1944
- Army Staff Sergeant Jose Riojas – World War II – July 28, 1944
- Army Private First Class Roman Correa – World War II – October 16, 1944
- Army Corporal Elias Lopez – World War II – January 25, 1945
- Navy Machinist’s Mate Third Class Edmund Vorwerk – Korea – December 6, 1951
- Marine Lance Corporal Doug Smith – Vietnam – November 4, 1972
- Marine Sergeant Byron Norwood – Iraq – November 13, 2004
Scheduled to participate in the unveiling and dedication are a Missing Man Formation flyover by the Commemorative Air Force and a 21-Gun Salute, Taps and the Posting of the Colors by members of the VFW #8787. Pflugerville’s Hendrickson High School Band will play patriotic music throughout the program. Honored speakers will be Lieutenant Colonel Willy Buhl, US Marine Corps and Sergeant Major Jim Nier, US Army (retired).